All You Need to Know About Virtual Private Servers
Virtual Private Server or in a nutshell VPS is one of the most popular hosting services you can choose for your website, application or business needs. It uses virtualization technology to provide you dedicated (private) resources on a server with multiple users. It’s a more secure and stable solution than shared hosting (a.k.a web hosting) where you don’t get a dedicated server space. However, it’s cheaper than renting Dedicated Cloud Server or physical server. In the past VPS hosting was usually chosen by website owners who have medium-level traffic that exceeds the limits of shared hosting plans but still don’t need the resources of a physical dedicated server. Today physical dedicated servers are fossils. They are replaced by their successors - Dedicated Cloud Servers (DCS). Linux VPS servers, on the turn, have an ever-growing usage. They are the swiss knife of the hosting business. Continue reading next lines to understand all about linux vps server. Find answer of all your questions. Understand why VPS hosting is so popular.
At the left navigation menu you will find links to additional useful articles for Linux VPS hosting. Enjoy the reading. If you have additional questions, ask our 24/7 support. We are updating that section with new tutorials. Bookmark the permalink for future source of information.
Subtopics covered in this tutorial:
The Advantages of Linux VPS Hosting
Whenever you’re trying to determine the best hosting option for your needs it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of each service. Here are some of the most common benefits of a Linux virtual private server.
- It's Cost-Effective. They are cheaper than dedicated server. Just because you want the best server available doesn't mean that you don't have a budget to worry about. Linux is a great option for the budget-conscious. The Linux open-source solution means that you can access all the software that you need to create your perfect operating system for free.
- The Open Source Network. As mentioned above, one of the biggest benefits of Linux is the open-source software. Linux doesn't belong to any single person - it's a collaborative system that anyone can contribute to. The open-source nature of the Linux is intended to encourage more innovation in the server space, which means that the server continues to improve over the years as new minds add more ideas to the mix.
- It's Secure. Ultimately, there's no operating system out there that can completely defend you against all software attacks. However, Linux has remained largely unscathed in many of the biggest cyber-attacks to date. The open-source nature means that vulnerabilities can be found and fixed quickly, while other proprietary systems rely on in-house teams to release patches. Use of Microsoft products hide a potential risks from stealing information. They use closed code, which can contain backdoors. Recall the case with Facebook and Alexa analytics, where more than 40 million users’ personal info was leaked. Just because no one has discovered abuses by software vendors with closed-source, that doesn't guarantee that they don't happening.
- It Provides Privacy. In recent years, there's been a lot of chatter about the lack of privacy options in Microsoft Windows OS and Apple MacOS. Today, these operating systems gathers more information than ever to profile its users. For some people, this means better usability. For others, it means a lack of privacy. The others simply don't like it to be spyed. Linux don't collects data about its users! The system is absolutely customized, so you can always get rid of any software you don't trust.
- Plenty of Choices. It can be customized to your needs. Generally, when you choose a proprietary operating system like Windows or Apple, you're stuck with using a specific structure. The developer chooses exactly which aspects of the OS should be prioritized. However, when you choose Linux, you get a system with a more customisable nature, which means that you have complete control over how your system to looks. The huge range of free software available also means that you can choose the applications that suit you. While Windows only gives people a small range of options for adapting its interface, Linux users can mix and match the operating system of their dreams.
- You have full control over your hosting environment.
- The VPS will grow up with your website. You can start with small VPS package. Then you can increase your resources instantly without reboot. NextPointHost offers 6 different resource hosting packages.
- The support staff are very helpful and can help solve complex technical issues. No need to pay extra costs for system administrators or freelancers. Our 24/7 support team will help you.
The Disadvantages of Linux VPS Hosting.
Of course, a virtual private server isn't perfect. As any other kind of hosting environment, this is the best hosting for the specific needs. The biggest drawback of VPS hosting is the cost. It is lower compared to Cloud servers, but It’s usually more expensive than shared hosting. Linux VPS require more knowledge at your end. So, if your website isn’t profitable yet, then for you might be better to starting with a cheaper hosting package. Some cheap server companies oversell their servers. They're hoping that every site currently using their server won’t have a peak of traffic. Think of it similar to cheap airlines, which tend to overbook the airplane, banking on the fact that some people won’t show up. Of course, this leads to people getting booted and having to reschedule their flights. So when choosing a VPS host, just make sure you choose wisely. Do your research in advance.
Don't be lead by the fact that, the biggest are the best! Usually in the hosting business, biggest are the worst. The biggest companies have a lot of hosting brands. They have a lot of fake review sites. These sites provide fake news, fake promotions and etc info to scam you. You will have impresion that choosing the best host, but all companies on the site have the same owner. They use the same devices, the same data center and share the same support teams. As result the quality of service will be the same. On the other hand really good companies will be out of the classation. As proof review the WikiPedia where you can find the List of the Endurance International Group (EIG) brands.
Who use Linux VPS?
Linux VPS servers are widely used by many different people, due to different reasons. Can't be created profile of the average user. Usual the reasons to choose that kind of service are:
- Need bigger resources than shared hosting provides you.
- Want to customized the hosting environment.
- Need better control options over the server settings.
- Hosted application is incompatible with shared server.
- Require better security.
VPS is less technically heavy than a dedicated cloud server and that can be a great bridge into an eventual upgrade to the dedicated hosting setup.
What I can do with Linux VPS?
As noted earlier in the article, the Linux VPS server is swiss knife of the hosting business. It's the universal warrior. Chameleon, which can be transformed into almost everything. Customers use them for everything. Fields of application are countless. The next lines will give you the ideas of use:
- hosting bigger web sites or websites which required modules not available under shared hosting.
- create your own reseller hosting business.
- sending big volumes of emails. Usually shared hosting is limited to 100-200 emails per hours.
- creating VPN tunnels for privacy protection.
- host of server side APIs.
- storage for important files and backups.
- create some real-time communication channel (e.g. WebRTC).
- hosting of monitoring tools.
- host for ERP systems.
- create different kind of servers like run your own Minecraft server.
- self-hosted voice over IP (VoIP) application.
- testing New Environments.
- seeding torrents.
- create TOR Nodes.
- collaborate with BitCoin or other cryptocurrency technologies.
These are just some of the possible applications of reliable Linux VPS server.
All in one. That is the Linux VPS hosting. It's gives you access to guaranteed resources and a full control without having to run your own hardware. It’s an excellent solution for medium to high traffic, resource-heavy, and eCommerce websites. The businesses who expect a rapid growth can also benefit from the stability of the service. If you need a reliable, business-scale environment with a friendly price, it’s definitely worth considering Linux VPS as the option. We hope this article helps you understand what is VPS hosting and how it works. In case you have any additional questions, feel free to submit them as comments to us.
Takes Top Linux VPS hosting on special price! It will enable you to apply everything learned in this tutorial.
In case that article helped you to answer some of your questions, Share it inside all social networks! Share it inside the forums. Share it into websites. Let all people know, how valuable is the article! That simple step will help us to provide you more articles in the future.
Thank you for the support!